If you look closely, you'll recognize the Mossberg 930 JM Pro 24" above. Yes, the Jerry Miculek model. You've heard of him, right? This is one of the hardest to find tactical shotguns on the market right now. Why? Well it offers a significant advantage over its competitors in a couple of ways. In my opinion, the Benelli M2, the Remington VersaMax, and the FNH-USA SLP round out the top 4 tactical shotguns on the market right now. Those three have something in common: they cost around twice as much as the JM Pro.
Being familiar with the Mossberg 930 series of shotguns, I was looking to get a JM Pro for the better part of the last year. In fact, if you asked my wife what I wanted for Christmas last year, it was a JM Pro. Despite her best efforts, she couldn't find one available anywhere.
Things have settled down somewhat, but these shotguns are still stinkin' hard to find. I guess me and every other 3-gunner in the country wants one. Here's my quick list of features I think set this shotgun apart:
- Beveled and enlarged loading port: Every 3-gunner knows that this is the first area of the shotgun to get customized. Mossberg takes care of this for you and enlarges the loading port from the factory.
- Nordic magazine extension and barrel clamp: Gives a 9+1 loading capacity.
- Overtravel stop: A small screw behind the trigger allows you to make your trigger a fast as possible for follow-up shots
- Beveled handguard: Also aids in quick reloading by not interfering with the loading hand
- Oversized tactical charging handle: Really nice that it comes from the factory with this, as it saves you a few bucks from having to add a custom part
- Ovesized checkered bolt release button: Again a nice part to come from the factory since it saves you time upgrading this part of the gun.
- Oversized safety: Easier and quicker to engage, and I really like Mossberg's positioning of the safety on the top of the gun, since it is ambidextrous and allows manipulation with the thumb.
- Cost: At right around $725, it blows its comepetition out of the water (All above $1000)
In a nutshell, I think this is the supreme 3-gun shotgun in the category of guns priced less than $1000. In all honesty, I don't think that the extra money you spend on one of its high priced competitors really nets a great advantage as this gun more than holds it on in competition.
Fortunately for me, the JM Pro is available at StrongsideTactical.com and I already added one to my collection. Please check back regularly as I will have a full review posted on the Youtube channel within the next couple of weeks.
Be safe and see you next time.